Friday, August 24, 2012

Shopping Tips: Why You Should Spend More Sometimes

by Max Law from MaxMayo.com




Photo source: Très Bien Shop


A few years ago when I was still new to the working world, I did a major shopping spree to prepare myself for my first real job. One of the plan was to get a few decent dress shirts. As a freshman, my instinct naturally let price tag triumphed over quality and my preferences.

My mindset was very simple: If you pay lesser for each piece, you can buy a lot more!

So there was a Brand X dress shirt at RM80, and then a Brand Y at RM 130. Obviously, I took Brand X, thinking that I've made a wise decision even thought I wanted Y, and I actually could afford it.

So barely after 4 months, reality called and my Brand X shirt started to looked very washed out, fabric's pilling, and honestly I didn't feel comfortable in it cause it wasn't that breathable. Thinking that it was normal, I bought the same shirt from Brand X again, which later also lasted around 4 months.

Eventually I bought Brand Y. And guess what? It lasted a year, plus better comfort.

Come to think of it: I actually spent more with Brand X even though it was the cheaper option in the first place.

Does this sound familiar to you?

I've been through many times of the same situations but on different things, before I finally made up my mind to only spend on items that I fall head over heels. If I can't afford it now, I'll just wait until I can afford it later.

That saved me some money in the long run, and it also brings unexpected benefits:


You'll be Happier
Getting the thing you really like is different from settling for an alternative. You'd naturally be happier if you got what you desired. Knowing my favourite shirt fits well and look good, I'd also appear more confident and at ease.

Re-evaluate Your Need
When you decided to save money for your dreamed item, you actually give yourself some time to think about your decision again. "Should I buy it? Do I need it? Is there something else that I should spend on first?" It might help you save your money and make a wiser decision.

Create Less Waste
Sometimes when you settle for less, you might end up leaving the items unused. For example, the Brand X shirt mentioned. I might have just leave it in my closet after wearing it 2 times and buy new shirts from other brands that are more comfortable and similar to Brand Y. It will take up space in my closet and eventually I'll run out of idea where to store them when new shirts come in.

My experience tells me that I'm more likely to wear what I actually like more often.

This useful idea helped me to understand how the other fashion bloggers can afford more clothes (not all fashion bloggers have silver-spoon). It also can apply to almost anything from purchasing car to buying a new house. It's all about buying the right things.

It's shopping season now and I hope this will help you.

All the best!





Checkout Max at MaxMayo.com and follow him on twitter @maxmayo for more updates and fashion tips!





"Seize the day, Caper Diem"

5 comments:

  1. That's kinda true kan.. I can't believe that I'm getting this from a guyyy.. hehe.. thanks for the share Max?.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet my mom complains about how pricey my clothes are. I always wear the same thing for many years, and they still look good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi @Gee & @Beverly, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Rungitom good stuffs last longer #TrueStory

    ReplyDelete

Do let us know if you like our work!

Instagram: @room8five