Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Here's Some Library Etiquette

by Daniel Chiam


I am writing this post from inside the library of University Malaysia Sabah. Initially I was doing my work, when all of a sudden this group of student sitting two table away from me starting to talk loudly when some of their friends joined them.


This group of students talks loudly in the library of University Malaysia Sabah


I don't know about you but library etiquette was something that was taught or made known to me at a very young age. Unless you NEVER visited any library before, you will not know what the rules are then, but I believe even before you step into a library, there will be a few signs that will let you know how to behave inside a library.

Apparently these bunch of students are either being ignorance or just plain inconsiderate. So because of that, I will be sharing with you some of the basic library etiquette that you MUST remember when in a library.


01. KEEP YOUR VOICE DOWN
It's a freakin' library and not a night market for you to hard sell some of your cheap stuff. If you want to share your life stories with your friends or have a group discussion then I suggest you find another place where you can freely and audibly express yourself. In a library keep your voice at 0, and 1 when talking.




02. PLACE BACK THE BOOK(S) THAT YOU TOOK
Just DON'T BE LAZY! If you took a book to be use, please please please put it back to where you found the book at first. Someone might be looking for the same book and because of your laziness, they can't find that book at it's section. Don't make it hard for others, be considerate.


03. DO NOT EAT or DRINK
Mainly for cleanliness purposes, please don't create the opportunity for the place to be dirty and also the books to be stained by your food and drink. I don't wish to have any ants or cockroaches to run around while I'm trying to get my work done or reading a book that smells like freakin' KFC.




Those are the very basic library etiquette that you must know when using the library. Just remember that the library is not your personal room or a private lounge for you and your friends to hangout. There are many others who are using the library for the peace and quite that it provides to get some work done. So please, be a considerate user and don't be a distraction to others.

Do you have any experience where some bugger(s) is just so annoying in the library? What did you do when bugger(s) like that is around? Share it down at the comment box below.


Photo source 1, 2


"Seize the day, Caper Diem"


| room8five @ Google+Facebook | NuffnangX | Twitter | Instagram

4 comments:

  1. Lama oh sya tidak p library..

    ReplyDelete
  2. During my college life, I love to go library and I went like almost everyday. Became my second home instead and when my friend wanna find me, they will know where I am. Lots of good and bad memories happened in library that impossible for you to believe, one of it was where my first love began. Another one was I found Nokia handphone while searching for a book. Geng right? But I didn't took and pass to the librarian. =P

    Talking about eating, I was surprised when I further study to UK, my university library allow the student to have their meals while in library. I even saw a Caucasian having his burger while doing revision in library. ==""

    ReplyDelete
  3. nowadays...book store is my library....

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are so right! its very important...later in your life you have same buggers when you go shopping and people bump in you+continue without saying sorry or by driving nasty+respectless; the thing is not to get too upset even if the disturb you a lot...happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Do let us know if you like our work!

Instagram: @room8five